Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Coziness


Hello everybody!  Sorry I've been gone so long, it's taken longer than I thought to recover from my trip with the Cuddlebug.  So, now that we're back I thought we should talk about something Christmassy.  Christmas is one of my most favourite and least favourite times of year at the same time.  So in order to maintain our sanity through the last minute stress, planning and organization that envelopes us around this magical holiday, let's focus on the comforting, and cozy things that we (or at least I) love about Christmas.

First, one of the greatest things about this time of year here in the USA is the abundance of beautiful Christmas lights decorating people's homes.  Driving around after dark can be a truly magical experience if you take the time to enjoy the beauty lining the streets.  If you're out doing last minute shopping after work, you might even use the time in your car to recover from the madness of the stores.  Just soak in the twinkling.  Let the lights in the trees and hanging from the eaves help to brighten the light in your soul.

Speaking of trees, I am a huge fan of Christmas trees.  Especially big, real, freshly cut trees that make the whole house smell like Christmas.  I have a few scents that bring happiness and joy to my soul, and that fir tree smell is a big one.  Another smell is cinnamon (maybe that's just me), but when the kitchen starts smelling like cinnamon and spice I get a cozy, warm feeling down deep inside.  Peppermint too.  It's definitely the right time of year for hot chocolate with candy canes poking out the top.

The next thing I love about this time of year is the music.  Christmas music makes me happy, and there are so many different styles of Christmas songs to listen to!  There are jolly, jaunty songs full of energy to pep you up, like Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer; and slow, snuggly songs that are perfect for sitting on the couch with your honey and melting into the moment, like White Christmas.  There are traditional carols, full of nostalgia, and contemporary songs, full of fun.  There are instrumental pieces, choral pieces, children's songs and rock songs.  Songs that remind you of Christmases past, and others that excite you about this one.

Feel free to combine any combination of the above sense experiences over your holiday, and add your own.  What parts of Christmas remind you of your childhood?  When do you get that wonderful feeling of love and warmth inside?  The sights, sounds, smells and flavours of Christmas are truly magical for me, and I hope they are for you too.  Now, I think I need to put on some upbeat sing-a-long Christmas music and make some Christmas desserts!

No comments:

Post a Comment